Tuesday, January 9, 2024

3 Objects

 Each of these three objects were chosen both as an aesthetic object to simply look at and appreciate, but also as a visualization of extra emotions that may come from looking at each object. The more you think, the more you might feel.


The first is a Carboy with fermenting mead in it. I am obsessed with the thought of all the biological processes going on inside the gallon jug. It seems that there is a whole world in there and I imagine it all being so interesting. Also its a pretty color. The foam at the top is just extras from the fermentation process


The second object is a library book from Mudd. Every time I walk through there I see so many beautiful books and so I thought I'd pick one to photograph. The title had almost nothing to do with my choice of book. I'm more interested in the extra information that the object carries with it. Books always have a lot.
Also in Mudd library. This was low on the list of objects untill I gave it more thought and eventually decided on this. Since I took this picture from below it feel slightly over-looming (not really a word but you get the idea). The extra info on this is exactly what you might expect: the onward momentum of time and the symbolism that a clock can always bring to the table. Also... it looked cool.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea about extra emotions coming from objects! This clock in the library always makes me think of John Hughes movies or Dazed and Confused. It feels very 80s and nostalgic. There's a scene at the beginning of Dazed and Confused (at least I think thats what its from) where there's a zoom in on the clocks ticking to the end of the last day of school before summer vacation, and it's this same clock they show in each classroom. I think there's a similar scene in the 2007 Hairspray movie? Not sure, I have a terrible memory so I may be getting my old movies mixed up. Anyway, yeah, it's funny how seemingly random objects can have whole stories hidden inside them that are different depending on who's looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capsules... perspective! I am so intrigued and wondering why you chose the perspective for your second picture of the book. We typically see books from a more linear perspective. This angle gives it a sort of gives this image a distorted almost "Alice and Wonderland" vibe. I am wondering what your relationship to the clock is? How much time do you spending in Mudd Library? Is this something that you often look at, sort of a stationary marker?

    ReplyDelete

Final Installation

 My final project was an installation on maps; although it would not look that way on first glance. the work is about creatively generating ...