Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Rebecca Carlton

 Artists — NewARTSpace

Rebecca Carlton's work was different than what I thought it would be. When I first saw the image of her "Are We Listening?" installation, I thought the shadows on the ground would have as much to do with the concept as the actual physical installation. It made me think of languages we are losing. The shadows looked like faded, fuzzy memories of languages that hang above them. I was a little surprised when she didn't mention the shadows. I also thought there were a few things that were a big part of the installation and what is stands for, that were not considered. I wonder what she did for languages that stretch across multiple countries? How did she decide which country to put on the bird along with the language if there were multiple countries encapsulating the language? 

Overall though I was more impressed and excited than disappointed. "Are We Listening?" is my favorite and I'm excited to see what that looks like finished. I was also very intrigued by the process in making "Sonoran Circumvolution" with the light coming through the metal installations in the desert. 

Something else that I really liked about her talk was the way she approaches art with her audience. The little social exercise we did at the beginning was great. She also said that she thinks "it's important to know how something is made." This is a refreshing contrast to some artists that keep their process a complete secret on purpose. Carlton's viewpoint is a lot more accessible for everyone and it makes people more excited about being artists and talking about art.  

Art for the People: Rebecca Carlton's public-arts projects cross state  borders - Door County Pulse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Installation

 My final project was an installation on maps; although it would not look that way on first glance. the work is about creatively generating ...