Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Final Installation

 My final project was an installation on maps; although it would not look that way on first glance. the work is about creatively generating a composition that pleases the participant. This is something I practice in painting and I wanted my participants to get the same feeling interacting with my installation. Over three days I took periodic pictures of my installation after people had worked on it.






Each of these were taken at different times. At one point someone took the installation from the table and rested it up against the wall. This offered a different opportunity for different compositions. This was not about deciding whether or not I liked the compositions that other people made. It was about getting my audience to activate a part of their brain that they might not be used to, or if they are, then to see what they come up with. 

I painted each hexagon with a light layer of vibrant light paint. There are a few hexes with darker colors. I thought it would be interesting to have a variation while also providing a majority of colors to be attractive. I also painted the box a more blue-black and the hexes a black-black. The idea here was to make a subtle separation between the two. The whole thing is cardboard other than the signs that say "please mess with this" and the instructions. 
Overall I feel like the concept of the installation was good. I think the actual thing was a little rag-tag but it's good for what it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Installation

 My final project was an installation on maps; although it would not look that way on first glance. the work is about creatively generating ...