Sunday, February 4, 2024

Final Project Proposal

 


This is here so we have a poster-child. I will talk about it later



My final project will have something to do with maps. There are two different directions that I want to take it and I am deciding between the two. 

I thought having an interactive map somewhere on campus. Something pretty accessible that wont be in the way all the time. I think a challenge here would be getting people to actually interact with it. Finding interest and meaning in the way they organize the map will be up to me but there's that. Maps are composition and I want to see what compositions people come up with on their own. Perhaps a Settlers of Catan board in a common space. That would be pretty simple. I would also have to make sure no one put my installation away.

The other idea is where I create a large scale map on my own with any material I want. It might be interesting to find things around that no one wants, however, I don't know how I would fuse it to the map. I will have to make sure it is an installation and not just a drawing. Any advice on that end would be very helpful. 

These first two images have been online Catan boards that were either games or just me messing around with composition.



These are a couple of my paintings from home that I often think of as maps. I've been wondering how I could incorporate this art style into my installation. Again, it cant be a painting. So translating it to installation is hard.





These are all maps from Pinterest that I love a lot. Especially the last one with its borders. Fantasy maps are all about composition I feel. So this is the place I go for shape relational inspiration. 

Artist inspirations: 
Works by Willem DeKooning (also maps in general)



Some later paintings of his. (later meaning after the 50s)

3 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with your passion for maps, but ESPECIALLY the idea of using your paintings as some form of map later on. I love the direction of your installation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making an on-campus map would be cool. This could definitely be turned into a scavenger hunt too to make people interact with your installation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your drawings, in the small picture, they really looks like maps. I think it will be great to have them 3D version.

    ReplyDelete

Final Installation

 My final project was an installation on maps; although it would not look that way on first glance. the work is about creatively generating ...